Friday, September 10, 2010

A Taste of Taxco



Today Molly, a friend and fellow ETA who also lives in Cuernavaca, and I visited the colonial city of Taxco, an hour and a half bus ride from Cuerna. Taxco is a colonial town famous for its silver deposits and beautiful, winding cobblestone streets. Friday was a great day to visit, as we encountered few other tourists. When I boarded the bus, I realized I had forgotten my trusty Lonely Planet Mexico guidebook. Hence, we set out on an aimless tour of Taxco with no expectations but rather hopes of discovery and pleasure. We were not disappointed. Molly and I randomly chose a road to take up the mountain on which Taxco is situated, and we lucked out – this steep, twisting road led us past groups of schoolchildren moseying home from school and an older gentleman caring for his goats (When we stopped to chat with him, he invited us to return at the end of September when the corn will be harvested. The Mexicans make unbelievable treats with their corn!); past sweeping Lord of the Rings-esque vistas of cloud-covered mountains; past fruit stands and stone churches and right to the towering Christ monument that overlooks the city. As today was the first consistently sunny day we have had in Mexico, the rest and feast of the senses we enjoyed at the monument was truly a mountain-top experience. I wish I could share pictures with you, but I am currently awaiting the arrival of my camera cable. Pictures will be posted soon!

We concluded our first, but not last, visit to Taxco with a fantastic meal at a rooftop restaurant overlooking the town square. For the foodies out there, I will describe the meal: soft sweet bread and chive spiced butter, fresh vegetable soup, cheese and bean enchiladas bathed in a delectable green salsa, agua de melón (cantaloupe water), and a cup of fresh-brewed coffee (This is significant because it’s relatively hard to come by a cup of coffee in Mexico that is not instant. Furthermore, this is curious because coffee is grown in 12 of Mexico’s 32 states. Hmmmmm…).

While Taxco is famous for its inexpensive silver jewelry, Molly and I were so full (physically and emotionally) from our day that we did not even venture into a store. For all you potential visitors, a trip to Taxco to wander around and shop is worth the visit to Mexico alone. And for all you lovers, this is an incredibly romantic place with tiny flower-adorned balconies and cobblestone alleyways. If you don’t believe me yet, just wait until you see the pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Your word pictures are so good, I don't know that I need to wait for the actual photographs.

    If you need us to send coffee, just let us know.

    o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura!!! I can't believe you're back in Mexico! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to read about all your adventures :) love and miss ya, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the offer, Owen!! Kellbell, you and Brad should come visit! I can offer you free lodging and loads of fun :)

    ReplyDelete